Curated Style: Lania Styling


After we painted the exterior of our home, I really wanted to give our screened in lania the feeling of an outdoor living room.  I wanted the colors to be a compliment of the interior, directing onlookers to the outside.  Our great room is lined with glass leading to the lanai and out to the yard and creek beyond.  The view of the creek is what drew us to purchasing this particular home.

Before

Whenever I'm styling a space, I begin by deciding on a general color scheme and choose a single item as the jumping off point.  In the case of the lanai, I wanted to define and soften the space with an area rug.  I began a hunt for an inexpensive yet durable outdoor rug.  My number one place to shop for rugs is Overstock.com.  After a little online perusing, I found the perfect one - the look, size, material, and most importantly, the price point I was hoping for.  It was the perfect piece to build our outdoor living room around.



Next I like to bring in the larger objects, like furniture.  As a general rule, I stick with neutrals when it comes to the more expensive decor items, like furniture.  If your more expensive purchases are transitional, you can work them into new designs as your taste or the seasons change.

I gravitate toward the texture of wicker, but wanted something long lasting.  There are some really great wicker look alternatives on the market.  I picked out a set from Home Depot that included a love seat, two chairs, two coordinating stools, and a coffee table.  I felt these pieces would fit the space well, allow for good conversation, and enhance the view of the creek beyond, instead of distract from it.  To tie in with the interior furniture, I chose a dark brown with beige cushions.  The set I purchased is no longer available, but here is one that is similar in look and is the same brand.



At this point I bring in the smaller furniture pieces.  This is where you can start layering in some color and additional function.  A small baby blue garden stool between the two chairs for a place to set a glass of wine or ice tea.  And another side table next to the love seat to display plants, candles, or to also set down a glass.


Lastly, my most favorite part, styling the space with textiles, decor items, wall art, and plants.  This is where you can really punch up the color and texture.  These are the things that makes a space come alive and become inviting.  It's like staging for real life.  I incorporated some blue striped pillows, blue and green planters, a large lantern, and metal wall art.  I wanted to keep the space fairly simple so the eye continues beyond the screen, into the yard and creek.





And one last time, the before shot for comparison.

Shop this post:

This is it, my simple yet inviting summer ready screened in lanai.  It's begging me to step outside, put my feet up, and enjoy a glass of wine with friends and family.  I hope these tips inspired you.  Please tell me what you think in the comments below.

Comments

What's trending?